Beatles-centric publisher Apcor has announced a new book for the New Year: "Made In The U.K. - A Complete Overview Of The Beatles' Singles Manufactured In The U.K."
You can order it here.
There are many books that deal with Beatles singles, from all over the world. It seems, however, that the singles that were released in The Beatles' own country throughout the last 60 years have never been properly catalogued in detail.
This is where Apcor's latest offering comes in, in the form of a book written by Richard Noller called "Made In The U.K. - A Complete Overview Of The Beatles' Singles Manufactured In The U.K.". This hardback book, which counts 668 pages and more than 2,700 (!) photos and scans of labels, sleeves, promotional items, original sheet music, advertisements, reviews, acetates, etc., etc., covers every U.K. manufactured Beatles single released from the Sixties up to the present day in great detail.
From the humble beginnings as the Quarrymen and their sole acetate disc cut in 1958, through the Beatlemania years, the Polydor releases, the 1970s reissues, the 1980s picture discs, the elusive silver injection labels, right up until the most recent set of Beatles reissued singles from 2019.
But that's not all!
- Every flexi disc featuring The Beatles - and that's not just the Xmas flexis, but also the various flexis promoting Beatles product in the 1970s.
- A gallery of company sleeves used on The Beatles' single releases in the U.K. and to which titles they apply.
- Non-EMI product on labels such as AFE, Baktabak and Polydor.
- All 7" box sets in every known variation.
- All export singles.
- A concise and clear chapter on how records are made, what the markings in a run-off groove mean and why they are important to the subject matter.
- An extensive chapter on Acetates, Demos And Songs They Gave Away, picturing all the appropriate labels and every known demo and acetate disc and sheet music by the likes of Billy J. Kramer, Cilla Black, The Fourmost and other lucky recipients of a Lennon-McCartney or Harrison original.
- A complete overview of all other (single) formats such as cassette singles and CD singles.
- A complete Irish discography, including every known label variation.
"In-depth" does not begin to cover the detailed descriptions of every entry. Every known variation has been included (A-sides and B-sides); and that's not just the labels, but also the picture and company sleeves! This is the definitive word on The Beatles' singles output from the U.K.