|George Harrison, gardening. Photo by Chris Murray, via Culture Liverpool|
Details from Culture Liverpool:
To mark what would have been George Harrison’s 77th birthday (Tuesday 25 February), Liverpool City Council and the George Harrison Estate will produce a new memorial woodland in his honour in Liverpool.
The city council and the Harrison family want to encourage artists to design new artworks which will take pride of place in the garden. As such, we are currently looking for expressions of interest from artists, musicians, collectives, technologists and groups interested in creating a sculpture or installation as part of a new woodland celebrating the life of George Harrison.
The site is a mature woodland in the south of Liverpool close to where George was born and grew up. The 12-acre Greenland site opposite Allerton Towers is currently a mixture of mature woodland and meadow. We are looking to commission a number of pieces initially with a view to adding more works in the coming years.
When it officially opens in 2021, it will be landscaped in order to be accessible, combining garden and woodland with a number of artistic installations inspired by the life and lyrics of the much-loved Beatle.
The brief is broad.
We are open to work of any artform, as long as it delivers against the following criteria:
- Is inspired by the work or life of George Harrison
- Is suitable to be installed outdoor, within a woodland environment
- Has minimal maintenance costs or requirements
- Works alongside and supports the natural environment it will be positioned within, some areas of which are an official nature reserve
- 15 April Expression of interest need to be submitted – these should total no more than 300 words with a maximum of 3 supporting images to be provided outlining the proposed commission.
- 1 May – Up to 10 artists to be requested to develop initial concepts into a formal, costed proposal. A small fee will be made available to support this development.
- 5 June – Deadline for stage 2 submissions.
- Judging to take place
- By end of June – all phase 1 commissions to be confirmed
- July – Feb 2021 – Creation
- Feb / March 2021– Installation
- March / April 2021 – Launch